Thursday, May 3, 2012

We steer by the 7th dorsal wing

When you hear hoofbeats don't think horses, think 7-winged, flying, orange zebra unicorn.  It will save you some time.  We are looked at oddly, to be sure.  We don't eat what most of you do, but only because we can't, because our bodies are different, waaaaay different.  We do get some common ailments, and by common, I mean heard of, as in you've probably heard of someone who had abdominal migraines as a kid, with visual symptoms a couple of days before.  That's what Emily's random photosensitivity was all about last Friday.  It was a warning, a precursor to the crippling stomach pain AKA abdominal migraine that popped up a couple of days later and hung on and off for two days.  She's the right age, the right gender, and has the exact spot-on family history.  Despite living a pretty chill life and eating fresh fruits and veggies every day and being nut (pomegranate, pineapple, and now asparagus), gluten, and corn free, she's had an abdominal migraine at 5 1/2, that from the first visual symptom to the last day of crippling stomach pain lasted 5 days.  She wasn't debilitated for most of that even, but there were times when she had to be holed up in a dark room.  And now, she is unfortunately MUCH more sympathetic to me when I am laid up with a heinous migraine, as I have been these past two days.  "wheatcornandmigraines" was for Sasha, and Me.  "crazy not nuts" was for Emily. It was not supposed to get this confused, not this early, not by the third month of this blog.

On the way in to school today Emily was marveling that I had time to make sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) cookies for her class, since she knew my head had been burning all the day before and it was in fact still burning that morning.  I told her it was because I loved her and I knew she had been excited to share some safe snacks with her class, because she always has to bring her own be it for every day snack or for special birthday celebration day that they (are supposed to only) have once a month.  She was in awe that I would do that With a burning migraine, which I think made it easier for us to walk together through the disappointment of most of class not liking the cookies, or even the sweet potato chips that we are all addicted to!  Two items, few ingredients, lots of vitamins and minerals and pretty darn good for you and all scorned by the class.  And you know, if I didn't have a migraine, maybe I could have tried to come up with something more conventional.  But 7-winged flying orange zebra unicorns are going to eat weird food and have strange diseases and stick out like sore 3d thumbs regardless of location or amount of effort trying to appease North American horses who eat sad, limited diets full of shit that will eventually kill you.  Welcome to school honey.

I wonder how many horses of North America could at least grow wings if they ate REAL food?  Anyway, typically kids who get abdominal migraines develop full-blown migraines later in life.  So much now remains to be seen.  It this Emily's first and last?  I hesitate to speculate beyond that, just because there is no reality involving migraine of any type that I want her associate with.  We will continue to eat as much healthy, organic, unprocessed, non-nitrated and unsulfured food as possible.  I'm on a fricking war-path.  I have virtually no energy and I'm on a war path, fighting for the health of my two flying orange zebra unicorn children, who came from a family that doesn't look like the rest of the world around them.  And by the way, no I haven't even thought about reintroducing gluten back into to picture to see how much Sasha can handle if any!  Who needs gluten?!?   God help us all... 

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you! I love your honesty and THAT actually is encouraging, so I guess you are still an encourager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like sun butter cookies and sweet potato chips :)

    ReplyDelete