Thursday, May 10, 2012

The good, the corn, and the wee-wee

The good: Sasha's blood work came back fast, and she's all good!  Not a dang thing wrong with her.  I mean, her hair is a LOT thinner than it used to be, and she does have a noticeable bald spot, but likely that is because of the havoc wreaked on her system by the gluten she had been eating since she developed this sensitivity, that all came to a head in February.  (pun not intended) (;  The organic, gluten-free shampoo has been made and applied for the first time tonight, and I gotta tell you, I am impressed.  It's environmental, economical, and will not contribute to the alopecia.  I've been reading up on why people are making their own or just going with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and it sounds good to me!  AND NO FRIGGIN' GMO CORN DERIVATIVES!!!  Which brings me to...

The corn: Since we noticed the smallest zebra unicorn went thin on hair (and just a little bald) we decided to put her back on vitamins until the blood work came back and could tell us if she was lacking anything, even though they contain corn derivatives.  After all, maybe she can handle some derivatives and perhaps just not stuff that contains a lot of the straight up protein.  It only took a few days of vitamins for her to turn over-the-top ugly, nasty, cranky, and she even had an accident in her bed, none of these behaviors have we seen since quitting the corn (a couple of weeks after we quit the wheat). Hence: The wee-wee

*sigh* It's all still so bizarre.  Less than 3 months ago I had a kid with a lot of symptoms that were getting quite worrisome.  Now it seems I have answers, but they're weird as heck, and have set me on a journey I could never have imagined.  I have learned the hard way that good, truly healthy food has to be a passion.  Good, safe household products have to be a rabid obsession.  I am so glad I live with my Mom, who is smart, supportive, and doesn't put up with any crap from my strong-willed zebra children, or anyone else for that matter.

So, no more stupid man-made vitamins for Sasha OR the rest of us!  We will keep eating lots of leafy greens, organic chicken livers and other vita-packed proteins, a variety of fresh fruits and veggies (minus the ones that kill Emily) and I'm going to check out our diary options.  And I may one day feel good enough to tackle more safe (read: pain-in-the-ass-to-make) bread.  It's funny, for as granola as all that sounds, and the fact that I haven't used toothpaste since about the middle of college, the amount of totally conventional western meds I'm on right now...we steer by the 7th dorsal wing...

2 comments:

  1. Do you brush your teeth with baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! Just water and love and my teeth are fantastic. Also I floss really well. Everything else gives me cold sores, which is why I stopped. Zebra unicorn, go figure...

    ReplyDelete