Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"Put another nickel in..."

It has been brought to my attention that to some, everything in life does not directly correlate to a song or a movie quote.

Me: "Hey mom, are you using the internet right now or can I flip it off and back on? It's not working for me."
My Mom: "Flip it."
Me: (...into shape, shape it up. Get straight. Go forward, move ahead...)

As I flip the switch that makes the internet go off and then back on, I head to the kitchen to get a move on making my tea.  There are 37 seconds left on the timer for my tea bag.  Which obviously brings to mind the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

King Arthur: "Old Woman!"
Dennis: "Man."
King Arthur: "What?"
Dennis: "I'm a man."
King Arthur: "Oh, sorry. Old Man, whose castle is that there?"
Dennis: "I'm 37, I'm not old."

I'm totally not making this up.  And what goes through everybody's heads all day if you're not thinking of songs and movie lines?  For instance, someone's car alarm was just going off and it was annoying the heck out of me.  But it was about 90 beats per minute and for whatever reason reminded me of a song from Hobbit, although it was definitely too fast.  Which brings me to knitting.

Knitting also has a rhythm, and maybe that's why I've found it to be so comforting of late.  Also to avoid giving myself carpal shoulder if that's even a thing, I have to consciously and constantly relax every bit of my arms and shoulders while knitting.  And maybe, just maybe, the fact that I could stab someone's eyes out with my bamboo needles while looking like a harmless knitter is a back-of-my-mind bonus.  Knitting is something I've re-picked up as a survival mechanism to get me through this no-botox phase.  I've also quit the band at church, and am willing to ditch just about anything, which has had a couple of interesting effects.

1. It's made feeding my kids more enjoyable.  I feel like we've kind of kicked ass in the food department, but not been able to enjoy it.  Tonight I experimented with leftover mashed potatoes.  They were soooo good.  And we got to mix them up with my neighbor's fresh from her garden bok choy.  It does not get much better than that.  I had to pay a friend to clean my kitchen first, and skip a school meeting to do so but guess what?  No effing migraine.  *sigh*  Mission accomplished, and NO MOMMY GUILT.  It's such a battle bc I love my daughter's school and the fabulous people who do so much there.  But I am ZERO help to anyone with a migraine.  Especially to my own family.

2. In my withdrawal from large community, I have connected much more to people one-on-one.  It's better for my head (because I just get WAY too excited around groups of people!!) and it hasn't really been on purpose.  But I dig.

Ok so three things. And the 3d is that I'm praying more.  Or maybe I'm praying differently more.  I'm quiet during prayer more.  And what I've observed in more quiet is that right now I'm in a huge "change and let go" phase.  Because right when I think I've got a handle on something, the game changes and I have to let go of more stuff.  It leads to very balanced living I guess, where you plan as much as you can, but really really live in the present.  Or as Pumbaa would say, "You have to leave your behind, in your past." or something like that.

Speaking of planning, I get to have yet another visit with the ole' GP tomorrow and beg for samples of my triptan since barring a divine healing I will be running out of my regular stash before I get a refill. Wait, I can refill in 8 days and I have two left.  There's a chance I'll make it, it just depends on what kinds of 8 days it is, and since I cut them in half and get potentially 4 doses out of them...hm...hmmm...I'm also going to see how she feels about medical marijuana.  Then I have to see how I feel about it.  I with I could get the strain from Colorado that doesn't get you high called Charlotte's Web from Realm of Caring, but they only serve residents of Colorado.  Damn.  Because what if the oil worked for me, like at all?  I've never been high (on illegal drugs) in my life.  Not to worry Wilbur.  Tonight I cooked dinner, have a clean kitchen, am ready to knit, drink tea, and eat a cookie.  And I haven't been on migraine meds in 29 hours.  Booyah.

(cue 'Pump Up The Jam') (cue image of me on a dance floor, dancing awesomely, whilst knitting.)




No comments:

Post a Comment