Friday, October 4, 2013

If she weights the same as a duck...

I have been weighed and measured this week in so many ways, and am happy to report that I have been found to weigh and have matter!  I have also stood up to the thorough (and helpful) goings over by a nutritionist, and even managed more seriously than ever, to play at being my own neurologist.  As in, a re-start of what is now a $42-a-month-prescription-serious.  Thank you Tricare.  [read: Expletive Tricare.]  I'm sure it was important that that med doubled in price over the last year, but I digress. [read: Mail Order Pharmacy.]

It turns out that being a voracious information hound has its place in this world, especially if you're in-between neurologists and trying to bring your number of migraine days back down from 15 a month to around 8.  Or maybe more especially if you're a food allergy mom and your neighbor's family is here for a visit and needs to use your wifi.  I love my neighbor, and her entire family it seems!  The more of them I meet, the more I like.  We've had really good visits, and it turns out that one is a pharmacist, and one is a nutritionist.  Jackpot!  Well, I haven't exactly learned much, but I've been EXTREMELY validated. Like, way super.  And that help unlooked for was just what I needed.

In one fun, sort of med-sparring conversation we brought the nutritionist up to speed on my med situation while talking to the pharmacist about the classes of drugs I've been on, was currently on, and was about to lobby my GP for with regard to migraines due to my neurologist situation.  But before all that I spilled my guts and life story to the nutritionist and had good answers for why the girls and I lived here, how I manage their allergies, how we eat what and why, etc.  I did understandably confuse the nutritionist quite a bit tho' about our eating habits.  She got as far as "like Vegetarians who eat Meat" and I didn't even bother delving into "More like Paleoites who eat limited grains and legumes but no nuts." She was very sweet and gave me some ideas on how to cook beets. And at the end of it all, it made me sort of review everything which was good since I've been trying to deal with the big blow of not having Botox available 'till at least the new year, and that's best-case-scenario, assuming the gub'ment remembers how to work before too long. (fingers crossed!)

I feel better now, I truly do.  Laying my case out to people who didn't know the particulars, seeing that my research has paid off, my GP giving me the go-ahead on the wth-expensive old-new med and new supplement...I don't feel as crazy, as desperate.  I mean, holy cat brains, I've had 3 migraine days out of 4 so far in October! But I'm still excited about trying the sautéed beet greens.  And hello, I started watching Sherlock.  Khan and Bilbo are in it!!! And my blessed and beautiful mom is letting me pay less rent so I can resume regular massage therapy.  Just the thought is relaxing.  Mmmm...meditating, knitting, massage, throwing away the toys on the floor...yes. Yes I will survive and make the paleo pumpkin/squash bars that I've already roasted the squash for...mmm...

But first I'll watch Sherlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment