Monday, August 13, 2012

Survival of the Persistent

Em survived the first day of school!  And I mean that literally.  More like, Em survived her first day in the cafeteria surrounded by kids eating PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES!!!  Actually, she sat at the end of the table next to a ham and cheese sandwich.  I mean next to a kid who was eating a ham and cheese sandwich.  Obsess much?  Geeze, days like today, I really envy the Moms who just get to bring their brand new first graders to school, take pictures, talk to the other parents, and then just go on their merry way.  I had to battle the doctor's office for the epi-pen release form.  Twice.  Twice because there was apparently a space-time vortex between the fax machine at the doctor's office and the  one at the school office, and just as well since on my third (THIRD) trip to the dr. office today to deal with them I discovered that the epi-pen release form was only halfway filled out.  Am I seriously the only patient of theirs who has a kid in school with food allergies?  This from the same doctor who forgot to refill Em's prescription for epi-pens, even 'though he said he would after I reminded him at our last appointment.  Twice.  TWICE!!!  UUGGHH!!!!!  And also a huge blue truck wanted my lane this morning on the way to school.  I had to swerve so he wouldn't hit us.  With my babies in the car.  And then the rat bastard honked at me.  I swear, some days are just like that.  But like I said, Em survived the first day of school, complete with road hazard and cafeteria experience.

I am selling cookie dough and magazines if anyone's interested.  None of that cookie dough is coming anywhere near my house, but you can buy it if you want.  It will probably kill you in the long run, I'm sure it all has wheat, corn AND nuts in it, and tastes amazing.  I can vouch for at least one of the magazines 'though, it's a science magazine that I get.  Ah, school.  Forget school, enough school, let's talk music!

I've been feeling really good lately!  Well, really good for me.  For instance, crazy morning run-around (school, dr. office, school, dr. office, pharmacy, dr. office, store, etc..) and after nap time I still managed to cook dinner which involved bacon.  Now, all this awesome is compounded by the fact that I have recently changed nap time to coincide with a new school schedule, as well as the fact that I got up early yesterday and led two services of worship music!  Oddly or perhaps not, it's been since I bought my very first guitar, the only guitar not given to me or that I've not inherited but that I've actually purchased.  My dream baby, my Lowden, aka Heath Rogers.  And I've not just been playing the Lowden, I've been paying attention to some of the other guitars in the house, and have actually been playing them (or having my friends who can Actually play, play them) outside the house! It's been wild, and hopefully just the beginning.  And just today, Emily switched quickly between 2 chords on the ukulele.  She was pleasantly surprised.  I was like, "See, practice DOES work!"  Oh, to see the little neurons firing and connecting...

So, be it Botox, diet, or Lowden, I'll take it.  However, my fingers are KILLING me like I don't ever remember them killing me before, not even when I first started learning to play the guitar.  #outofpractice #needloweraction #comicaltowatch

But seriously, it's freaky to go two weeks feeling worse than you have in months, and then to go the next two weeks feeling better than you have in months before that.  I don't know what that means.  I do know that I'm having a good stretch, and that has been a rare thing.  And now I have my dream guitar, which has somehow inspired me to do things I've never done with some of my existing instruments.  Crazy? Maybe, but not nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment