Saturday, August 18, 2012

Drinks by Tuesday

I went 19 days!  I've done that before, 19 days and no migraine.  But these 19 were different; productive, musical. [read:AWESOME] And this migraine is just an aspirin migraine so far.  Hehehe, ask me tomorrow after early rehearsal and two sets of worship music.  As for triggers, it could be the schedule change, the huge week we just had, the mass amounts of awesome, or the organic coconut flour carrot cake I baked today.  Of course, my money's on the fact that we're changing meds again, Plus the aforementioned.  We're fiddling with meds because I've been doing so well!  But oh, change...well, change means one less preventative med.  [less meds=good] Specifically the one that keeps me from alcohol (and grapefruit?) which means assuming I survive the weekend and the beginning of the school week, and I feel up to it, I could be having drinks by Tuesday!  I could have a grapefruit drink in like, 3 more days!! That doesn't sound good at all, but it's the principle of the matter.

So, Em's Neurologist is Jamaican, and pretty cool.  He took time to listen, learned Sasha's name and shook all of our hands upon entry and exit.  Since Em had fewer migraines in July and none so far in August, we're kind of in a wait and see phase.  Now that I keep a tighter reign on all our schedules, that seems to have done the trick.  It's funny, every doctor, and I know it's their job, brings up food.  So I tell them about what we eat.  And then I have to tell them over and over because no one believes what I tell them.  Don't they read about cults?!?  It's just like that, only for medical reasons!!!  We have the bracelets to prove it!  Only, a lot of people who have the medical reasons still don't take care of themselves obsessively like they should, and I've seen firsthand the consequences.  Also, people in actual cults are often secluded, because it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to function in the general public.  I guess I just explained to myself every doctor's disbelief.  *sigh* If everyone would just obsessively eat properly, it would make my life sooooo much easier...

My Neurologist believes me when I tell her about our food habits.  She's threatening to send her kids to my house to eat!  But we're only ahead of the game because my kids have had such bad reactions to food.  It's definitely a trade off.  Heck, if nitrates didn't make me feel like crap, we'd probably eat cheap bacon!  It's one of those ahead-of-the-game-at-a-terrible-price deals.  I gotta be honest 'though, halfway through making the cake today, I realized that it was organic and it was very cool.  I made an organic cake from scratch today, or as my grandmother would have said, "I made a cake today." :-/  Eggs, milk, coconut flour, spices, sugar, butter, carrots, all organic because that's what I have in my house!  And maybe that has anything to do with the reduction in (disappearance of?)Emily's migraines and me feeling better?  I read about a lady who cured her migraines by going completely organic, and I have nothing to lose but food that's been genetically modified to tolerate chemicals designed to kill living things that need water and oxygen to survive.  And cash.  But we don't eat out or go anywhere or do anything, so there you go.  And I think any adjustment we have to make financially to eliminate dangerous chemicals from our food and skin products, is worth it.  Did you all catch the fact that Johnson and Johnson is going to pull a whole list of "chemicals of concern" like Formaldehyde, from their products by 2015.  By 2015!!! It took Sasha's hair falling out for me to start making our own shampoo, and I'm pretty sure it was the gluten that did it but still.  Wake up call!

This is not the life I had planned 10 years ago, a day after turning 23.  But this is the world we've been given, the times we live in, the body in which my soul is housed.  I didn't even love the cake, truth be told.  But it's safe for my family, and they all loved it.  So I'm pretty sure I'll be making it again.  The frosting was pretty rad.  Maybe it'll go down easier with some coconut rum, on Tuesday...



2 comments: