Saturday, August 25, 2012

Frankencupcakery

The starting point for this Franken-ed recipe is one that my friggin' wonderful friend Elisabeth made me aware of, from elanaspantry.com for chocolate cupcakes, using coconut flour.  (which are great btw) Coconut flour is pretty much where the similarities end.  I have Frankened the crap out of it for various and sundry reasons, and I was pleasantly surprised by the awesomeness of it! But be ye warned of two things:
1. These look like chocolate.  They are not chocolate. Chocolate and cheap wheat tastes like America.  Banana and carob tastes like elsewhere.  Carob tastes more...exotic, and dusty.
2.  I eat weird food all day every day, so I think these are super amazingly great.  However, my friends who eat normal food just tried these and also approve them except for one little kid who doesn't like bananas.  If you don't like or are allergic to bananas, don't make these, or use something else beside banana.

I am excited, for they are:
Gluten Free
Egg Free
Corn Free
Nut Free
FrankenCupcakes!

For Banana Carob (Franken)Cupcakes
Makes 9 (I know, weird) and they fall in the middle after baking. Don't worry, fill it with icing. Mm.
Preheat oven to 375.
Line your muffin tin with stuff.  I just figured out how to make my own! (Because I was out, but ready to bake.  Whoops. I used parchment paper cut into circles, folded like fans, and then smashed into the tins.  Anyway...)

1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup Carob Power
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Mashed Banana (which is more than one but less than two bananas. sorry.)
3 Teaspoons Ground Flaxmeal
1/4 Cup Oil (or Butter)
3 oz Honey (or 1/2 Cup if you prefer more sweet, I don't, so I use less.)

Mix the dry stuff together.  Mix the wet stuff together. Flaxmeal here is a wet stuff.  Mix the dry stuff thoroughly with the wet stuff.  It looks kind of like brownie batter at this point.  Scoop it into the muffin tins, you know the drill.  You'll probably have to get a spatula and really scrape the bowl clean to get the cups 2/3 full each.  My oven tends to bake quickly, so it only takes about 15 minutes, and I flip the pan around once in the middle so it bakes evenly.  If your oven doesn't suck, you may be able to skip the drama.  They're done when they smell good and a toothpick inserted comes out clean!

For Carob Buttercream Icing

1/2 Cup Butter (that's a stick of butter)
1/4 Cup Carob Powder
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (or to taste. I prefer less sweetness so, ya know...)
1 Tablespoon Milk (or Cream, as implied by ButterCREAM. I had Milk and it worked.)
Little Splash of Vanilla to taste (sorry, I didn't measure)

I put the butter straight from my fridge into my mixer and let her rip for a while, so softening the butter wasn't an issue.  If you don't have a mixer of some sort, definitely let the butter get soft first!  Then mix the crap out of everything.  After I made this and iced the cupcakes, I put the leftovers in the fridge because I knew I was going to have to make a second round of cupcakes because they were so good as to qualify as a new food group, and I thought there would be enough icing to go around since I ice kind of sparingly.  Well, after sitting in the fridge and getting re-mushed around, the icing kind of separated a little.  It still tasted amazing, it just looked a little less smooth.  Oh my gosh, writing about this is making me wish I had more right now but it's all gone...sad...

But there you have it!  A whole new food group.  (; And, it's easily made diary free if you just be sure to use oil instead of butter for the cupcakes, and omit the icing.  They're plenty good without the icing, so long as you like Banana.  And if you're allergic to banana, I dare you to try another fruit!  (Like apple, and then tell me how it worked!) The banana and flax act as an egg substitue, but I understand that other pureed fruits can work as well.  I used banana in combination with the flax since I was using coconut flour which has Absolutely no binding properties whatsoever.  So here's to successful Frankecupcaking!


No comments:

Post a Comment