Saturday, September 8, 2012

Dog Fart Rehab

Our water smells like dog farts tonight.  It smelled like dog farts last night too, but I thought that was just because the dog was exceptionally farty, and I was having trouble shaking it.  My Mom says that the fields smelled like dog poop on her way to work yesterday, so who knows?  More like who wants to know.  Poop salad capital of the world.  It doesn't help that the dog is brown, poor kid.  I don't fault her for being farty, it was us who let her lick the leftover bean juice off the plates.  But who likes washing their hands in dog-fart-water?

At least it's only at night, and honestly it's better than when the water smelled like dead cat at night And in the morning.  We kind of have crappy water.  A Brita filter doesn't take care of it either, it has to be a Pur filter.  Once years ago when we were still using a Brita my Mom didn't think I could tell the difference between filtered water and unfiltered, so she filled up the jug with UN-filtered water.  When I came home from school thirsty, filled up a glass and took a nice big drink, I practically spit all over the kitchen before exclaiming, "What did you do, fill the jug with sink water?!?"  My Mom was surprised and delighted and replied through her laughter, "I didn't think you could tell!"  I hear the Espinozas have a mean streak, but I swear I get it from both sides.

Emily gets it from the cosmos by osmosis or something.  Not that she doesn't get stubborn and willful from every side plus the dog or anything, but being that she's really smart too, just makes it worse.  And boy, is she going through a spell.  School has improved greatly, but the primary caregiver gets to see the worst of the worst, and it doesn't help when the primary caregiver is having a minor botox meltdown.  Hehe, it's not as bad as it sounds 'though.

I overdid things last weekend for Sasha's birthday party, hoping I'd be ok since my whole month of August was so amazing!  Well, apparently I'm not Superwoman just yet, nor am I Geniuswoman as I forgot that as it was the week Before botox, all the previous botox would be completely out of my system.  Yeahwhoops.  So not only did I have to take regular attack-the-migraine meds for a couple of days, I also had to take the don't-drive-when-you're-on-these migraine meds, which I haven't taken in a few months.  Then I was wiped for a few days after than, then I got botoxed on Thursday which usually triggers a migraine.  Now for the good news: Although my head did hurt some later that day and the next,  I didn't even have take Aspirin for it, I just yelled at the kids here and there!  Now for the bummer news: While crawling out of the pit that is my life after fighting several days of feeling migrainey and exhausted, I got overwhelmed by the perpetual clutter of the house and the responsibility of constantly having to make alternative safe food for my kids just to participate in society and about lost it in the kitchen.  I seriously wanted to pick up every dish in the sink and smash it.  Instead I hid in my room for a while.

Food still pisses me off.  This is only the beginning of the 7th month that we've been eating Wheat and Corn/Corn Product free, on top of already being Peanut and Tree Nut (et al) free.  AND, today I discovered that the new bag of powdered sugar I used in my last batch of frosting has cornstarch in it, vs the previous bag which had tapioca starch.  I blame Mom who bought it, but also myself for not reading it before I used it.  (Different brand, stupid mistake) But, Sasha didn't die.  Clearly, she can tolerate small amounts of cornstarch vs cornmeal.  But I still get mad that nothing and I mean not a damn freaking thing is easy.  The soap company owes me a gallon of castille soap and is dragging their feet since THEY sent me the wrong product in the first place, one company that sells nut and gluten free products no longer has free shipping on Amazon, and there's another damn food activity at Emily's school next week.  But the cookies I made for a birthday party today turned out well, and were 100% organic, so bonus.  Of course, Emily stopped getting migraines, Sasha's hair stopped falling out and she stopped getting hives and crying all the time and waking up with new scabs every morning, and for the first time any med of any kind is working for me and these are my trophies!  Shoot, any ONE of them would be worth it!  But sweet Jesus...

If you've ever been any kind of sick for a long time, you know that getting better is hard work.  That's why there are long-term care facilities,  rehab, and support groups.  Every time I get a migraine, life backs up and I have to do serious recon when I start to surface.  I need a migraine rehab support group to remind me that migraines screw with emotions, and just because I start caring about life again, does't mean I'll be able to magically handle everything at once.  I need a "single mom with heinous migraines with kids with opposing food allergies" support group to remind me to feed my kids and not kill them. I swear, this is all a part of getting better.  Amazing August, Slow Start September.  One thing I do know, no more beans for the dog.

5 comments:

  1. Love. You and This Blog. A) I can *hear* the difference in your voice here versus your previous post--you just sound forcibly mellowed out--subdued I think is the actual vocabulary word my sleep-deprived brain is hunting for. Last post you were bounding. Maybe normal will turn out to be somewhere in the middle? B) I want to use your post here (or at least the opening and closing) as a writing sample for my students! It's a perfect example of one of our decorations: "Dramatic opening - closing
    A short dramatic sentence before the topic sentence, combined with another dramatic vss after the clincher sentence." The dog sentences clinch it brilliantly. Hugs friend! (and Happy Birthday Sasha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored should you use any and all parts of my writings in educating young minds! Last month was so triumphant indeed, like a big carrot dangling in front of me, what my brain and body are in fact capable of. If I ever get there again, you bet I'll flip! In my very first post, I pose the idea of normalcy, but we've seen so little of it and the lows are so long and hard that any triumph just seems so huge...
      Funny story, I printed the Frankencupcake recipe for my Mom the other day and she asked if she had to rotate the pan during the middle of baking like the lady who wrote it and I said, "MOM, I wrote it, that's OUR oven that sucks!"

      Delete
    2. LOL! Sorry just now read this comment and that is hilarious. I love your mom. You too.

      Delete
    3. Hey, PS--weird request, but can you include an image with each post? Then I can pin them to Pinterest and they'll go viral :)

      Delete
    4. Oh man, I don't know about all that, but your wish is my command. Let the games begin! ;)

      Delete