Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Nurse (can suck it)

Atopic Dermatitis my @$$.  The last two times my suspected corn-allergy girl ingested corn products, she got a rash.  And she's been COMPLETELY off all traces of gluten for weeks, so I know that's not it.  Stinking nurse practitioner who didn't listen to me at the allergist's office can go suck it.  She can suck it for making me crazy for the past 5 days thinking that Sasha may be allergic to the dog, our precious Indiana who is a piece of Sasha's soul.  She can suck it for making me doubt myself, for making me think for an INSTANT that maybe it was magical atopic dermatitis that strangely started going away 24 hours after I stopped feeding her wheat.  And NOW that it's been a month since I discovered her wheat allergy in the first place, and in 3 days she's finally scheduled for skin testing for everything under the sun, I'm upset that 1.) I didn't get a phone call referral to the allergist in the first place since both girls are already patients there 2.) that I didn't get to see the allergist when I got to the allergist's office and 3.) that she's going to get a bazillion scratches for dust and pollens and dogs and cats AND wheat and corn. Well, I'm the Mom, and this 'aint my first, second OR third rodeo in the medical world....maybe she WON'T be getting a bazillion scratches, because it turns out I'm in charge of my kid, not them.

Speaking of the medical world, I ditched the attack-the-migraine meds today.  Which means my head hurt, but only part of the day since it's getting better.  I hope this is an upward trend.  I've been a little stressed, can you tell?  I'm processing, preparing questions for the allergist in case the skin tests come out funny, (they're not always accurate) gearing for battle, trying to catch my Mom up on corn...although, the two instances my Mom accidentally fed Sasha corn are the reasons I'm confident that she reacts to it, so, bonus!  All the while I'm still trying to survive with a constant migraine, trying not to be an a-hole to my family and my like, one friend in town I ever used to actually hang out with.  Not gonna' lie, it's rough.  I dreamed last night I had to stab my older daughter with her Epi Pen because she got somehow got a nut.  Then during a nap I kept dreaming that dark things were creeping up to my neck.  The good news is, I'm still sleeping.  And hopefully I will avoid the extra migraine meds again tomorrow, except that I have a parent/teacher conference.  It's always something isn't it?

So, I've figured that I'm still partially in denial about my Sasha's newly discovered wheat and corn allergies, and I'm definitely still grieving.  But I'm also glad that my kitchen is a much simpler and easier place to navigate, and I'm absolutely THRILLED that nothing but nothing artificial comes within 20 feet of my house.  I am also absolutely perplexed and saddened at what America has done to its food sources, (not to mention what it can hide in its labeling!!) and I am determined to get fewer and less severe migraines.  I'm a 3d generation migraineur, but I blow the other 2 generations out of the water in every possibly way be it severity, duration, and frequency. No one knows why.  I've tried everything under the sun and nothing has helped long-term.  I hope cutting gluten and corn helps.

1 comment:

  1. Be Passionate about your mommy gut! Doctors don't have it, they have education yes, but a lot of times mommy knows better :)

    ReplyDelete