Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Mallow Project


It's not cocaine.  It's mostly organic, zero carbon, less refined than traditional, made-in-the-USA-sugar, coated in powdered sugar that I made in my blender from the same, along with a little gelatin, salt, and corn free vanilla.  It is my first attempt at home made marshmallows, and let me tell you, they are awesome!  They are softer and bouncier than store bought mallows, which now remind me of fake sugar mixed with plastic.  These taste like marshmallows, only real, awakened, and with a purpose.  Their purpose was originally Sunday School, although I have been wanting to make them for a while since getting a hankering for roasted marshmallows.  And since I've got my baking face on for the school Fall Fest this weekend, I figured I'd give them a go.  So to possibly disagree with all my apparent crack heads friends out there, I'm going to have to agree with my other friend and say that they look like tofu. ;)  But I've never put tofu on a fork and tried to roast it over my stove before...

Since these are fluffier than store bought evil corn-laden mallows, after it roasted beautifully, it fell apart like a politician under scrutiny.  But then it tasted amazing.  So I guess if I ever wanted to make graham crackers and buy some fair-trade chocolate, we could do s'mores.  But really just scraping the mallow drippings out of the bowl was fine for me.  And to answer another home made marshmallow inquiry, they do in fact float in hot chocolate!  It was like a small island of joy floating in sea of delight.

By far the hardest part was cutting and extracting the little guys from the pan.  I've got some ideas to try for next time, but there was something kind of zen-like about the process since I was kind of mindlessly doing it while watching TV.  'Cause we've been without marshmallows for like, 8 months, and it's just about marshmallow season, and that's not gonna' fly.  We lost nuts for the holidays years ago, and this is going to be our first year without candy.  But we will have marshmallows.  Oh yes, we will have marshmallows.  We can do toasted coconut mallows, carob, chocolate, and sprinkle marshmallows.  And our marshmallows will kick your marshmallows cheap, pesticidal butts.  Unless of course you want to go camping.  Then our marshmallows will cry big fluffy organic flaming tears right into the fire! :)
Here is the recipe I used. http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-marshmallows-no-corn-syrup-384069

No comments:

Post a Comment